The purpose of this Blog

This blog is to detail my 50 years (1973 - 2023) with a 1928 Chevrolet tourer, affectionately called "The Red Chev".

The acquisition, restoration, improvements and my experiences over the years are covered in as much detail as I can remember.

Some of the later postings include car club outings and other vintage car items that I hope will be of interest to people.

If you have the time, scroll back to where it all began in 1973 and follow the journey so far.

Thanks for dropping by.

Regards Ray Dean


See my new section "The Red Chev - Repairs, Improvements, Maintenance and Technical Details" located on the left hand side of the screen.




Pages

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Building up a Spare Engine (1927) for the Red Chev - Part 2

I did a compression test last night No 1 - 30psi, No 2 - 60psi, No 3 - 55psi, No 4 - 55psi

I am hoping this is head and valve related, if not I will re ring the engine.

I will be selling off the head, however it was interesting that the valves were sunken below the surface.




 
 



There is a crack in the top of the head from one welch plug to the other, but hopefully a person who needs and wants a 27 head can have this repaired.





The top of the block is in pretty good condition, with not too much corrosion around the water holes.
You may see that I have about 5 mm of oil sitting on top of each piston.



The water pump is a bonus, in very good condition.




The water inlet from the head is surplus to fitting a 28 head, and will be sold.




As will the single port exhaust manifold




I will also be selling off the 27 Carb and inlet manifold, that are in running condition, as I will be fitting the bigger 28 inlet manifold and 28 carby.




I find the internals of a 27 dizzy a bit agricultural compared to the 365B fitted to 28's, but it works, cant be changed, so it will be kept.




The next step will be to fit a 28 head, which hopefully will raise the compression across cylinders 1,3 and 4 to match 2.

If nothing else this will be a great training exercise for me, and a bonus if I get a good spare engine as a result.

Will keep you informed.

1 comment:

  1. Looking good Ray, hopefully it will become a good spare Engine Mounting for you to tuck away in the back of the mancave with all your other treasures. Cheers Grant

    ReplyDelete