The purpose of this Blog

This blog is to detail my 50 years (1973 - 2023) with a 1928 Chevrolet tourer, affectionately called "The Red Chev".

The acquisition, restoration, improvements and my experiences over the years are covered in as much detail as I can remember.

Some of the later postings include car club outings and other vintage car items that I hope will be of interest to people.

If you have the time, scroll back to where it all began in 1973 and follow the journey so far.

Thanks for dropping by.

Regards Ray Dean


See my new section "The Red Chev - Repairs, Improvements, Maintenance and Technical Details" located on the left hand side of the screen.




Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Reclaimed from the Scrap Heap? Part 3 - Crankshaft

This is the final installment of my project to reclaim parts from a probable rusty grave to where at some stage in the future they may once again help propel a Chev 4 down the road

In this posting its a crankshaft.

I must explain at this early stage, this crank may already be beyond reclaiming, but in these days of spray welding, and very skillful machining, who knows, it may help either me or someone else in the future. At least and if nothing else, I have halted the rusting process, and stabilised the part so it can be put into storage.

This is the last item processed from a grab bag of bits and pieces that I picked up from a deceased estate in  Castlemaine, when Grant and I were returning from the Bendigo Swap meet.

This is what it looked like


The next stage was about 3 days soaking in a tank of Rust buster.




The finished job, wire brushed and a healthy coating of WD40. I would like to think it was worth the effort, what about you?







There is a bit of pitting on the journals, but who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment