The purpose of this Blog

This blog is to detail my 50 years (1973 - 2023) with a 1928 Chevrolet tourer, affectionately called "The Red Chev".

The acquisition, restoration, improvements and my experiences over the years are covered in as much detail as I can remember.

Some of the later postings include car club outings and other vintage car items that I hope will be of interest to people.

If you have the time, scroll back to where it all began in 1973 and follow the journey so far.

Thanks for dropping by.

Regards Ray Dean


See my new section "The Red Chev - Repairs, Improvements, Maintenance and Technical Details" located on the left hand side of the screen.




Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2011

2011 - 20th August - Moved Vac Tank for better access to no.4 Plug

I replaced the fuel line from the Vac Tank to the carby today, as for many years I have been running 1/4" when it should be 5/16". At some time in the past I put on carby fittings from an earlier model not realizing the tube was a smaller size. Seems pretty dumb, but that's my excuse.This was pointed out to me at the 2009 Chev 4 Tour in Castlemaine, Victoria, and because the car seemed to run ok, I never gave much thought to changing the tubing. If I think back there have been a couple of times when the beast has died at high speed, started again straight away, with me thinking I have knocked the ignition switch with my knee. Will let you know how that goes.

 At the same time I decided to move the Vac Tank for better access to no 4 plug, as it has always been a bit difficult to get a spanner and my gorilla fingers in between the Vac Tank and the block. I moved the tank 1" up and 2" to the right, which now gives plenty of room to get at no. 4 plug.

Hopefully the combination of the bigger fuel line and higher Vac Tank will be better fuel flow. The bottom of the Vac Tank is now 5 1/2 inches from the top of the carby bowl.

Thanks to Chris in Sydney and Kevin from Dapto for giving me the idea.




After these pictures where taken, I decided to replace the loop from the manifold to the vac tank, and of course polish the tube and fittings before a coat of clear lacquer.

The before shots are above, the after below.





No comments:

Post a Comment