The purpose of this Blog

This blog is to detail my 50 years (1973 - 2023) with a 1928 Chevrolet tourer, affectionately called "The Red Chev".

The acquisition, restoration, improvements and my experiences over the years are covered in as much detail as I can remember.

Some of the later postings include car club outings and other vintage car items that I hope will be of interest to people.

If you have the time, scroll back to where it all began in 1973 and follow the journey so far.

Thanks for dropping by.

Regards Ray Dean


See my new section "The Red Chev - Repairs, Improvements, Maintenance and Technical Details" located on the left hand side of the screen.




Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

2010 April - Installed a Battery Kill Switch

After reading a couple of articles about electrical short circuits and fires, I thought it was time to improve my battery disconnection process.

Previously I had a isolating switch on the battery, but I realized that in the event of a fire, you would  have to pull over the car, get any passengers out, pull up the carpet, pull out the battery access panel in the floor and disconnect the battery via the switch on top of the battery.

Now that could take a bit of time, especially if there was panic involved.

At a DVHCC meeting in February 2010 there was a presentation by Michael Hartman on fitting a Battery Kill Switch inside the cabin.  That's for me I said, and had the job done within 24 hours.

Now, if I need to isolate the battery, I reach down below my knees, and turn off the switch which is located on the lower seat frame, well within my reach, even with a passenger.

Very quick, very simple, and my insurance company loves it, as with key removed from the switch, I have another anti theft device.

When I park or garage the car its now a simple process, turn off the engine, remove the key, turn off the battery switch, remove the key.

The switch I used is the type as below, and is connected on the negative side of the battery.








No comments:

Post a Comment