The purpose of this Blog

This blog is to detail my 50 years (1973 - 2023) with a 1928 Chevrolet tourer, affectionately called "The Red Chev".

The acquisition, restoration, improvements and my experiences over the years are covered in as much detail as I can remember.

Some of the later postings include car club outings and other vintage car items that I hope will be of interest to people.

If you have the time, scroll back to where it all began in 1973 and follow the journey so far.

Thanks for dropping by.

Regards Ray Dean


See my new section "The Red Chev - Repairs, Improvements, Maintenance and Technical Details" located on the left hand side of the screen.




Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

My After Market Oil Filter

When I first put my Chev on the road there were no original Oil Filters readily available, and EBay was not invented.

But even with my limited mechanical knowledge at the tender age of 20 I knew I should have an oil filter.

So still sticking with the GM theme I fitted an after market oil filter, mounted to the firewall. Very similar in appearance to the Chev Fram type, this Aussie made Ryco unit was used in early model Holdens up to the early 60's.

I have used this set up for most of the 38 years the car has been on the road and have always been happy with the performance of the unit.

Although the die hards may say the fit up is not original, it enabled me to fit a radiator overflow tank where the original oil filter was.

Another good reason to run a local filter is they inserts cost about $20, where as the original style from the Filling Station cost about $80 plus postage. Not a hard decision I would say.

Below is a few photos, including the insert part number.




No comments:

Post a Comment