The purpose of this Blog

This blog is to detail my 50 years (1973 - 2023) with a 1928 Chevrolet tourer, affectionately called "The Red Chev".

The acquisition, restoration, improvements and my experiences over the years are covered in as much detail as I can remember.

Some of the later postings include car club outings and other vintage car items that I hope will be of interest to people.

If you have the time, scroll back to where it all began in 1973 and follow the journey so far.

Thanks for dropping by.

Regards Ray Dean


See my new section "The Red Chev - Repairs, Improvements, Maintenance and Technical Details" located on the left hand side of the screen.




Pages

Saturday, June 25, 2011

My Reccomended Rust Converter

Over the last 4 years I have achieved excellent results with Ranex Rustbuster.

http://www.bondall.com/rustbuster/Ranex_Rustbuster.html


Its a clear liquid that can be brushed on, or in my case soak the part in Rustbuster for up to several days. The finished surface can either be wire brushed before priming or left to dry prior to painting.

The first time I used the product was to clean out the rust from the engine block cooling system areas. I completely filled the block with Rustbuster and let it sit for about 1 day then flushed several times.

Rustbuster can be re-used time after time, filtering through a cloth after each use.

Below is a before and after photo of the same part, which is still to be wire brushed.





Here are some more before and after shots








Applications that I have used Rustbuster on are

Steering Wheel Frame
Steel Radiator surround
Radiator surround inner panels
Water Pump Housings
Engine Block
Thermostat Housing
Windscreen Surround
Brake Linkages
Transmission Gears
U Bolts
Various nuts and Bolts

And probably more I have forgotten.

3 comments:

  1. I must invest in some ray, I have have a bit of rust to bust!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ray,

    Just dropped by to say we love the Chevy, fantastic job. We're glad Ranex served you well.

    Aden from Bondall

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Aden,

    Ranex is an excellent product, could not praise it enough.

    ReplyDelete