The purpose of this Blog

This blog is to detail my 50 years (1973 - 2023) with a 1928 Chevrolet tourer, affectionately called "The Red Chev".

The acquisition, restoration, improvements and my experiences over the years are covered in as much detail as I can remember.

Some of the later postings include car club outings and other vintage car items that I hope will be of interest to people.

If you have the time, scroll back to where it all began in 1973 and follow the journey so far.

Thanks for dropping by.

Regards Ray Dean


See my new section "The Red Chev - Repairs, Improvements, Maintenance and Technical Details" located on the left hand side of the screen.




Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Matlida the 28 Chev - now back on the straight and narrow

For some time both Terry (Matilda's owner) and I have thought the old girl was running a bit rough, and on the recent Chev 4 Tour at Shepparton, despite Matilda cruising at a good speed, to me it sounded a bit sick. I was worried a burnt valve may be the culprit.

We had a session to get to the bottom of the problem...... good news or bad.



First thing was to eliminate a valve problem with a compression test. All cylinders were around 60 to 65 psi, happy with that.


Next was to check and adjust the tappets, more a noise problem than being the cause of a sluggish Matilda. They were nearly all out, so adjusted and ticked that of the list. Used this magical Snap On tool that I found on Ebay a few years back, makes setting tappets a dream instead of the normal nightmare.
I was starting to think it was a carby problem...... until I cleaned and checked the points. They were a bit burnt and the gap was about 35 thou. Reset at 23 thou and bingo, Matilda is now behaving herself, running as smooth as a Chev 4 can run.


Who is a happier (and relieved)  Chev owner now?















No comments:

Post a Comment