The purpose of this Blog

This blog is to detail my 50 years (1973 - 2023) with a 1928 Chevrolet tourer, affectionately called "The Red Chev".

The acquisition, restoration, improvements and my experiences over the years are covered in as much detail as I can remember.

Some of the later postings include car club outings and other vintage car items that I hope will be of interest to people.

If you have the time, scroll back to where it all began in 1973 and follow the journey so far.

Thanks for dropping by.

Regards Ray Dean


See my new section "The Red Chev - Repairs, Improvements, Maintenance and Technical Details" located on the left hand side of the screen.




Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2013

A Man and His Old Trailer


A mate of mine Grant Fowler has turned this nice, but average old trailer



 
Into this, still an old trailer, but with a real vintage look to match Monty the 1928 Chev.
 

How did he do it? Check out the following which is from

http://montythe1928chevrolet.blogspot.com.au/search?updated-max=2013-04-01T22:58:00-07:00&max-results=10

Gidday,

I have always liked the look of an old small 6x3 ft timber trailer, you never see them any more at all getting about and the old ones you do stumble across sitting under an old gum tree in a farmers paddock are usually stuffed, broken and rotten away beyond repair, so the other day when I found one on Ebay and only 80kms from home well I just couldn't help myself so I brought it there and then.

With a larger trailer in tow I went and retrieved it at Seaford with the help of Ray Dean, I brought it from a fella who had just inherited the family farm and was in the process of cleaning out some sheds on the property, so the trailer had to go..

Straight around to my cousins workshop when I got home and on went the industrial hot pressure washer, heaps a paint came off, many layers of brushed on white acrylic water based paint flew off everywhere in tiny pieces and made a hell of a mess on the ground but that to was later cleaned up.
What was left was a nice old cream colour which looked very neat with the raw timber poking through in places, so next I will completely brush on some paint remover nice and thick, let that sit for 24 hours and hit it again with the pressure washer over the weekend.
It needs a new timber floor and also I will make a new front gate, I have some better old rusty hinges for the tailgate, some old antique looking lights to match the Chevy in be install and I will be looking for and restoring some wooden spoke wheel also like the Chevy and I will paint the guards in a matt black and rub them back here and there a little.

These photos are after the first pressure wash...




 


First coat of paint stripper doing its job..






Now washed for the second time



 I have now applied a second thick coat of paint stripped and I will let that sit for 24 hours then wash it off..
And after the third wash, this is what it has come up like




Some WD40 applied and both guards and rims are looking very nice..



 Grant is looking for a 28 Chev front axle and wooden spoke wheels to complete the project.

If you can help with his search, drop him an email at:  grant@signwriter.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment