The purpose of this Blog

This blog is to detail my 50 years (1973 - 2023) with a 1928 Chevrolet tourer, affectionately called "The Red Chev".

The acquisition, restoration, improvements and my experiences over the years are covered in as much detail as I can remember.

Some of the later postings include car club outings and other vintage car items that I hope will be of interest to people.

If you have the time, scroll back to where it all began in 1973 and follow the journey so far.

Thanks for dropping by.

Regards Ray Dean


See my new section "The Red Chev - Repairs, Improvements, Maintenance and Technical Details" located on the left hand side of the screen.




Pages

Friday, July 8, 2011

Happy to Help if I Can. Just ask

One of the benefits of restoring and maintaining the same car for 38 years is the experience you gain along the way.

The good times, the dramas and the odd failure or two helped me to learn as I went.

If my experiences can help others in the restoration or maintenance of their Chev 4 its a bonus.

I learned about Chev 4's the hard way. There were not many people on the ground to ask back in 1973. No chat sites, no Internet, no Chev parts dealers on the other end of an email and especially no eBay where so many parts are now available.

 If I was a novice restoring a Chev 4 now, the amount of information and parts available compared to back in 1973 is amazing.

By no means would I call myself an expert, far from it and I am still learning, even after 38 years.

But there are one or two things I have picked up along the way, and I am happy to share this with others.

If I cant answer your question, I will try to put you in contact with others that can.

There are also many web sites that can be passed on to new comers.

And if it helps keep a few more old Chev's on the road, then that's good enough for me.

We may be a bit crazy to play with 82 year old cars, we may have a passion to work with rusty panels that were scrapped 40 years ago, and we may be driven or some may say possessed to reclaim and salvage a part that is way beyond being regarded as serviceable, but more importantly we are not alone.

Happy vintage motoring thrill seekers.

Ray Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment